July 03, 2010

Now that I am mentally in a better shape, I shall try to recall what I had experienced for the past 3 days. The convention is called Asia Pacific Nurses' Convention, or ASPAN convention in short. Basically I wasn't really VERY interested per se initially about this even though I wouldn't mind going at the cost of $280, but anyway we signed up and got sponsored by the department so everything that happened came free. And at the first day or second I realise this convention is only organised every four years, and most participants are sisters or people at higher positions. Not to mention the presence of chairperson of SNA, the CNO, Jean Watson, Alison Kitson, etc. ALL the big shots that I could only imagine to see in person..haha and the content is quite nice. The only bad point I guess is that we have to wake up very early for all 3 days (I woke up at 530 everyday :x) and presence of prawns for all the meals..haha
Okay so let's see..basically the structure of the convention is such that everyday there would be a number of plenary speakers whose presentations are attended by everyone, then we would be split into 3 concurrent sessions that you can choose to attend any. Initially the 5 of us thought that we could manage running from one place to another since different topics at different places interest us, but after a while we decided it impossible and had to settle down at one venue for the whole concurrent sessions. Anyway the title of the convention is "N power for better health" and since Jean Watson is the main speaker, the theme is more or less settled at Caring.
The keynote address by Jean Watson on the first day (after the welcoming dance by DSA and welcome speech by the chairpersons and GoH) is focused at Caring Science, and she grouped nurses into "biocidic, biostatic, biopassive, bioactive and biogenic". She also talked about the need to change our "case" management mentality to "face", which I think is pretty hard to achieve considering what we are going through, even though that is what I want to do. Anyway then plenary speeches begun and the idea of nurses as expenditure, etc. are brought in. It's interesting in that how since every single usage of medical supply is costly to the institution, nurses are the cost drivers. And since nurses make up of majority of the healthcare workforce, any increment in our salary would cost a BIG increase in the hospital's expenditure (and therefore it's extremely hard for us to get pay raise).
Another plenary speaker is Prof Dawn Freshwater, and she used the analogy of Wizard of Oz to show how it is actually reflective of a person seeking courage, wisdom and heart, and eventually finding the way home (remember the lion, scarecrow, tinman and Dorothy herself?) haha I think I won't see Wizard of Oz in the same way again..anyway she derived the algorithm courage/wisdom + heart = Caring N^power , that courage used wisely with a heart will result in powerful caring. And I want to remember the question "Where were you when the paradigm shift?" and the answer of "I was the paradigm shift".
There are also impressive concurrent speakers along the way, and I think it would be too much if I say everything. But the convention really turned out to be much more than I'd expect. I mean, I thought it would be 3 days of sitting and listening to people talk and me falling asleep, but it really wasn't just that. Sitting yes, listening yes, but it is more of listening and asking questions about myself and discovering things from their presentation. Even though I was tired (remember I need abt 8 hours of sleep per day LOL), I never did once fall asleep. I don't know if it is me being too emotional for the past 3 days, but sometimes I would be moved to tears by the lessons taught and the reflexive process. I guess from the beginning when the DSA (down syndrome association) people danced, I realised this convention would be meaningful. Even though they couldn't dance to rhythm, their effort could be seen. And the satisfaction on their faces just made me realise my own failure to work harder in life. And the lessons throughout the convention of caring for the patient, I realised that even though that is my aim, I am shifting away. I am being persuaded by my own unhappiness to NOT care for the difficult patients, and the patients have been cases to me while I refer them as bed no. XX. I want to be a very good nurse.
Hrm. ANYWAY yesterday's gala dinner is very nice in the sense that we went around taking photos with all the profs, speakers, and with layhua, vicki, seniors, etc. haha and the food is nice! and erm, since our table is half filled, we had to eat a lot LOL. I was like stuffing myself and stuffing and stuffing and there is still a lot of wasted food :s okay and I think I was enjoying myself too much LOL :P reached home at 11 plus..
In conclusion, I am so glad that I did what I did and joined in the group to go to the convention :)