June 13, 2010

and so the 5 weeks ward attachment ended. and now, I think I should write an entry about it to "officially" end it (?)
I guess you would say that this attachment is much alike the previous ones, but then it is not all the same. The ward is nicer and the staff are there for you (mostly) and even the doctors/HOs are nice (really). Okay maybe not so much for the first week but things really got better after that. So I thought, the problem lies with me. I have this mentality that we are done with our Yr2 Sem2 stuff and this is our 3rd posting in acute hospital so I expected myself to be more experienced, and us to be dedicated more "high-end" stuff to do. So apparently I was unhappy when I had nothing to do but serve urinals and change bedsheets, and get annoyed easily with the PCA's stupid look on HER face (and as you may or may not know, there is only one female PCA at my side so ya, I'm talking about HER). And as you may or may not have followed, my expectations were adjusted and reality-checked and after that I was a lot more happier. Hrm, did I tell you that I think I am borderline-ing workaholic? And to think that I rarely served bedpans, I served it this attachment, wrongly, thrice and all three times the urine of the patient leaked onto the bedsheet and I have to change that. It was only through another PRCP student that I realised the way I served it is wrong. Yes I am dismayed at my incapability but well, I think I will remember the correct way from now on (and so will the PRCP student I think LOL). Too bad that patient's confidence in me has dropped to pit bottom, not that she and her family have been very nice. You know, being criticised without you understanding the language is better than being criticised in a language that you understand, when the patient thinks that you don't. Because it is at times like this when the patient thinks that you won't know what she is talking about, that all the nasty stuff come out. But that goes to show how nasty the patient is herself, right? oops am I badmouthing? Iamnot. HRM.
I think I learnt a lot this attachment in the sense like how to write report, how SGH function, and how each staff nurse does things his/her own way and sometimes nothing may be right, so basically you have to figure the best way round it on your own. And the fact that you will know a person much better if both of you are involved in doing things together where/when power is in concern. I don't know, or maybe I'm just pure overtly sensitive, and I really hope that this new discovery will be lost. I don't like to be talked down to, and I think this ticked me off. Not to mention her diao1 attitude starting from the second week of attachment. And her oh-I-am-putting-a-smile-on-my-face-and-we-are-friends-but-wait-that's-only-what-I-pretend-to-be-I-am-actually-irritated-by-you-because-you-are-too-lousy-for-my-class-and-I-should-not-be-wasting-time-to-talk-to-you-at-all-so-scam-on-your-own-will-you facade, when I thought we were friends (okay then again maybe not since I felt this hostility before from her too but I thought it has stopped). And another's thick-skinned attitude, which is more understandable because we are supposed to be that way. ANYWAY all these negative impression on people maybe due to my own struggle for power because they are "in my way" for it?
I think I am going to regret my prejudice days later but since this held for 4 weeks I shall just vent it out? Even though I felt a lot better after shaking WQ this afternoon LOL.
And this closure has just turned into a gossiping session and I am regretting for criticising my friend. Amen.

p.s. LL's post on her patient is sooooo touching :')